Monday, 12 March 2012

SINGER 114w103 - Chainstitch Embroidery Machine



The love affair with chain stitching is somewhat eclipsed if you have one of these. The Singer 114w103 is the first chainstitch machine Singer made, starting around 1911. It was 1st used in a treadle table and often called a “Cornely Type”, modeled after Cornely of France’s design that went into production in 1865.


These single needle chain-stitch machines were used to stitch names onto garments, workshirts, handkerchiefs etc...  Now most embroideries are done on modern computerised machines, but there something quite amazing using the freehand crank below the machine, while directing your embroidery above, and controlling the speed with your feet.


Roy Slaper of "ROY" has one of these machines, which he, by hand chain stitches the shop / or often his own name in the jean on the pocket bag. check out a video of him using this amazing machine on his selvage duck pants for Self Edge...


video
Pocket Highway © Roy Slaper


1st 2 images © Grain & Gram - Roy Slaper on his Singer 114w103 
 © Roy Slaper / SELF EDGE
© Roy Slaper

Finding one has been tricky, they sometimes pop up on ebay, and sell for 300-500USD but theres a guy in japan who re-conditions them, stripes them down, re paints them... and even makes custom boxes for them, ( so you can have the hand crank on top of the main table) and so they can fit on any modern table, with out much modification.. I personally like them with the paint coming off.  This will be the next machine i invest in for sure.


Below are some more images of this special machine.....
Above image © The West is Dead - (much respect !)

21 comments:

  1. Great post! I have three of these machines and there is definitely something enchanting about them. My oldest is from 1913 and the most "recent" is from the early 60's and it's interesting to note the subtle differences in design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers Jerry for your kind comments. Yeah Ive put down my order. Im looking forward to mess with it when i get it in my studio. Seems like it will take some time to master it... warmest regards Mohsin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi mohsin,
      i want to know that brother ,usha,etc sewing machines have launched this type of computerised machine or any other company.i saw in ludhiana these machines r used by some workers but r very noisy.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mohsin
    Do you by chance know the guy's name in Japan that refurbishes these machines? I'm looking to get one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can you email me please the guy in japan godwillin2@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Hi Jamie
    Drop me a email, ill send you sellers details in japan. I hope your japanese is good... regards Mohsin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. email is seafate143@yahoo.com
      thank you very much..
      do you have any idea of the cost etc shipping detail?

      Delete
  5. i have two of these i would like to get rid of

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      I might be interested in purchasing one. Send me an email at coryleif at gmail.
      Thanks.

      Delete
    2. do you still have machine email godwillin2@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. Hi Dave, i am interested in it too, is there any still available? calvin.li@cup.com.hk thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got one of these. I can't wait to clean it, and set it up. No idea if it works or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of these machines available for sale, looking for best offer. Any idea how to tell the manufacturer date?
    Machine head only, no table or motor. It's not that heavy, will ship FedEx.

    http://www.marshsite.com/Singer_114W103.jpg
    Reach me: banjo29@live.com
    Verify me: http://myworld.ebay.com/chadmarsh

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I looking for embroidery Cornely, if you have send me an email in my adresse samirrr59@hotmail.fr please.

    Thanks
    Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a 1965 version 114K103 that is currently up for sale at eBay.com and will also soon have for auction a black body Singer 114W103 with W serial number(lost records). Could I please get some good parts contacts? Both are missing a few parts although they move freely. My email is Enriched4Living@aol.com
    Thanks, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello
    How much is the guy in japan selling his for?
    I would be interested in either a cornely or the singer 114w103 models.. or similar thank you seafate143@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi,
    I have a Conely A that isa copy of Singer 114w103.
    Where can I find the table box with motor?
    Can you help me?
    All the best
    Thaks
    Anna
    anna.castagnasso@alice.it

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi,
    I sell my cornely A!

    http://www.ebay.it/itm/121178465817?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

    for any informations contatc me
    anna.castagnasso@alice.it

    All the best
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you still have the Japanese contact for one of these machines please? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Singer 114w103 for sale. My Mom bought it over 20 years ago and has never used it.
      It has been used by someone else over the years and looks to be in good shape. Has a Letter of Authenticity from Singer dated May 1985 valuing the head alone at $1,545.00. email me if interested ; jkkluger@att.net

      Delete
    2. Hi Jim, I emailed you!

      Delete